Winter is the time when most of the children suffer from cough, cold and fever. During this time children are not able to cope up with the change in weather and faulty food habits make it worse. Parents are not able to understand how to manage such conditions and, in this article, we will be talking about some preventive measures that you can take at home to protect your child and to boost their immunity. Slight modification in nutrition or diet and certain herbs are really beneficial for the children to follow.
Follow the given remedies to boost immunity and to protect your child from frequent cough and cold .
1. Gargle with Turmeric water – Add 1/4th tsp of Turmeric powder in a glass of warm water and use this water to do gargling after lunch and dinner . This helps to clean the throat and reduce the chances of infections . It is also helpful in reducing the throat pain and inflammation .
2. Chyawanprash – Give 1/2 tsp of Chayawanprash to children with warm water once a day.
3. Sitopaladi Churna – Give 1/2 tsp of Sitopaladi powder with 1 tsp honey, twice in a day.
4. Warm water – Give warm water to your child for drinking throughout the day .
5. Amla – Give your child Amla in the form of dried Amla Candy , which is a better substitute for Sugar Candies.Amla is a rich source of Vitamin C which helps to improve immunity .
6. Avoid food which contains chemicals and preservatives specially packed juices and snacks like chips and frozen food . These foods cause inflammation in your body which leads to low Immunity .
7. Avoid dairy products during this time , Dairy products aggravate Kahpa dosha in the body which leads to cough and cold in children . Most of the parents think that milk is the only source of Calcium but it’s not true . You can give other substitutes of Calcium like Ragi (finger millet ) , Sesame seeds (Til) , Leafy green and nuts .
8. Marsh Nasyam – Pour 1 drop of Cow’s ghee (Organic) in each nostril at bed time , it nourishes the brain and also makes a barrier for bacteria and viruses .
9. Healthy and Nutritious diet – We all know that vitamins and minerals help us to fight against bacteria and viruses , but if you see the intake of fruits and vegetables then it clearly shows that children are not eating enough fruits and vegetables which protect them from infections and build their immunity. It is necessary to take at least 2-3 servings of fruits and vegetables everyday to meet the daily requirement of vitamins and minerals .
10. Sleep – Sleep plays an important role in the growth of children , if they are not getting proper sleep , it will not only affect their physical health but also their mental health .
Let your child enjoy Winter!