Constipation , a problem due to which children , adults and old age people suffer . Chronic constipation leads to physical and psychological disorders. Moreover if you are not clearing bowel everyday it leads to accumulations of toxins in your body. In this article the first thing that we are going to discuss is why it happens ? Once you know the cause then it really becomes easy to manage this problem .
Here are some reasons which causes constipation:
1. Less water intake during the day
2. Not having fibre in diet
3. Overconsumption of food made up of refined flour , like junk food .
4. Excessive fasting
5. Late night dinner
6. Not taking 7-8 hrs sleep
7. Lack of physical activity
If you feel that you are not following any of the above points then start incorporating the same in your daily routine .
In ayurveda, constipation is named as “Vibhandh” , it occurs due to excessive aggravation of Vata dosha (air) , it leads to dryness in the colon which disturbs the functioning of the gut .
Ayurveda suggest the following ways to manage Constipation :
- Vata Dosha Pacifying Diet- Staying away from cold foods and drinks, dried fruit, salads and most beans and having warm foods, warm drinks and well-cooked vegetables and drink enough amount of water (2.5 -3 litres )
- Psyllium husk – It serves as a bulking agent in the colon.
- Triphala – Triphala has glycoside that has laxative properties, taking 1 tsp ( 5gms) triphala 1 hour before dinner with lukewarm water.
- Cow’s Milk and Ghee- Taking one teaspoon of ghee in a cup of hot milk at bedtime helps to relieve constipation .
- Flaxseeds – take about 1sp ( 5 gms) of seeds once a day with lukewarm water .
- Castor Oil – In case your stool becomes very hard then try this remedy . Take 1 tablespoons (10 ml) of castor oil preferably at bedtime with warm milk
Yoga Asanas for Constipation
Everyday in the morning drink 1 glass of lukewarm water and do these 5 Asanas , it immediately helps you to pass the motions .
2. Tiryaka tadasana
4. Tiryaka bhujangasana