Suffering from Insomnia ( Sleep disorder) – Try YOGA NIDRA !
Yoga Nidra is a kind of yogic sleep , it is a state of deep sleep. During Yoga nidra you are physically, mentally and emotionally relaxed . As you know that there is a relation between your body and mind. Our brain has many centres which perform various physical work , for eg, cerebrum controls the emotions , helps you to think and remember, Cerebellum helps in the movement of your body and maintain balance , Medulla is responsible for controlling involuntary movements like breathing and heartbeat. It has been observed in various studies that stimulation of brain centres strengthens the sensory and motor nerve response .
In Yoga Nidra brain centres are activated in a specific sequence . Whatever affects the body must influence the mind and vice-versa.
In Yoga Nidra one has to place awareness on various body parts in a specific sequence , along with focussing on breathing and relaxation. By doing Yoga Nidra one can recondition the mind and make it more powerful.Sometimes doing simple things makes a lot of difference in your life .
Two aspects of Yoga Nidra
1. When you move awareness on different parts of the body ,it not only relaxes the body and mind but also clears the nerve pathway in the brain.
2. It also alternates the opposite awareness of sensation like cold and heat .
How to do Yoga Nidra
Visualization stimulates the reaction in the unconscious mind . Practice of Yoga Nidra for 10-15 min is very much beneficial for the people suffering from insomnia and anxiety .
First lie down comfortably on your back with eyes closed .Keep your feet apart and palms up.In the next step start bringing your focus on each area of your body starting from feet and legs .
For details – Watch this videos
This practice not only helps you to bring self-awareness but it also improves your concentration. In various studies we have seen that people can manage their physical ailment by relaxing their mind . People who are suffering from Insomnia also suffer from various health issues like constipation, anxiety , digestion issues , raise in blood sugar levels and many others. Yoga Nidra is helpful for the individual suffering from insomnia .
Simple hacks to follow at bed time
- Stop watching any gadget 1 hr. prior to your bedtime
- Make sure room is dark while you are sleeping
- Make sure your bed sheet and pillow covers are neat and clean
- Declutter your bedroom so that there is flow of energy
- Avoid using chemical spray in your bedroom , you can use natural aromatic oil for fragrance.
- Take a light foot massage at bed time
- Take light and early dinner
Certain herbs are very much beneficial for Insomnia such as Brahmi, Ashwagandha and Shankhpushpi .